HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    Forum & Information
SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 RegisterRegister 

chest pain

katsrule1971 Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: chest pain

I have read a lot about walking here on this site. So the other day i walked took breaks when i got out of breath and got up and walked some more. Well about a half hour later i had this terrible pain in my chest and up into my neck. Is this normal?

MrEd Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject:

Whether its normal, I can't say but I get it often too. Not really while walking - if anything, that tends to make things better for me. Pretty much everyday I get a pain like that of varying degree ever since my last VATS on the left side about 5 years ago.

dubmekanik Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject:

Is it possible that air is accumulating in the chest cavity? I'm not trying to scare anybody of course. But how would one know, especially after having VATS/pluerodesis? Where a collapse would not be possible because of the procedure?

battersea65 Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject:

Pain is a very individual thing, IMHO. These are my personal experiences. I am 4 weeks post op following my first SP. I had VATS, apical section and pleurodesis on my left side. These last few days I've been lucky enough to partake in a program of rehab exercises and physiotherapy arranged through work. This included a stress management session, more of which later. Prior to that I'd been afraid to exercise and had pain associated with the 3 holes through my ribs, and a very annoying pain which seemed to be associated with where my long chest tube had been. In my case the tube was 8 - 9 inches inside the chest cavity, and the end was nearer my heart than the outseide Neutral

I would say that this week I have been re-educated as to my own abilities. I've been doing CV work and light weights tailored to my needs. No adverse reaction apart from minor muscle niggles, and a big boost to self confidence. Painkillers binned.

Stress: According to the nurse in my stress management session, when we are stressed, muscle groups may tense up. Many people will know this. If this happens in the chest, it can cause pain similar to a heart attack. IMHO, it may follow that if you are stressed following SP surgery, your chest muscles may tense up and cause pain. Pain may make you more stressed as you may then believe you are having another SP. If anyone experiences severe pain I would obviously advise them to seek medical advice, but if you get a twinge, don't automatically assume the worst.
Page 1 of 1

Choose Display Order
User Permissions