HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    Forum & Information
SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 RegisterRegister 

Blebs on both lungs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> Research and Text

Tami Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Blebs on both lungs?

My daughter has had 2 sp's in a months time on her right lung. She is now recovering from VATS with 5 blebs removed (stapled) and talc pleurodesis. She also was diagnosed with Alpha 1 Antitrypsin Def. She is scheduled for a CT Scan in April to check the other lung. Does anyone know the likelihood of blebs on the other lung? And is it easy to see blebs on a CT Scan? Thanks! Very Happy

Hazz Reply with quote
Doctorized Blebber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject:

CT Scans by good Doctors. YES!
I hope you have them check it very well.
I am sorry to say, but a good 98% of us that have blebs on side do have them on the other lung to. I am very sorry if you do find out she does have them. Sad
We all here for the most part have been threw what she is going threw now.
Please time some time and Read as much as you can from These forums.
We have a lot of info here and a lot of personal stuff on how we make do.
Please feel free to stop here and post all you wont..and your Daughter as well. We help keep each other goings at times.
Someone should get back if your post within 2 to 3 days at the most. :0)

Tami Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Thank you so much for replying! I have been researching a lot and reading all the forums. Our surgeons nurse was telling us that if they find blebs on the other lung they usually just go ahead and do surgery on that lung even if they haven't experienced a pneumothorax in that lung yet. Is that what usually occurs? She just started college this fall and she cant imagine missing more for another surgery as she is taking a medical withdrawal from this current quarter. I wish I could get her to read this website but she is really depressed about the whole thing and doesn't want to know about "her lungs popping more".

Thanks again for your help Very Happy

Hazz Reply with quote
Doctorized Blebber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject:

To be one of us is scary as hell. Reading these forums being someone to go threw what we have is VERY depressing! It changes your life forever.
If they do not remove the other blebs, you can bet they are going to pop sooner or later. Sad
Reading the forums...You can see that getting the surgery is still not 100% that it will not happen once more. Getting them remove does very much improve that she will not have a major collapse.
Once more, I am sorry to drop this kind of thing on you. I would just like you to know as much as you can so not to be jumped by something. I wish I know 1/4 of what I know now when I had my first one in the 80s.
IF you at lest know what to look for and what might hit you...Its a hell of a lot better then getting blindsided!
Tell her talking about it helps. Its scary as hell and that's no lie. We each are still living our lives and we all still have fun. She just needs to know not to freak out about some things.
Tami, Being there for her and knowing this is a ton of wight that we as parents do. My hart goes out to you.
I think knowing what might happen before might help her get passed her depression a little faster. It well be a harder hit but with you there for her it will be ok. We are all here to tell her...life does go on..it does get better. Smile
We are here for the both of you. Wink

Tami Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject:

My daughter is really depressed because she not only has the diagnosis of Alpha 1 Antitrypsin Deficiency which besides the blebs and sp's, she can develop early emphysema. She and her brother also were diagnosed as babies with a degenerative disease called Mitochondrial Myopathy. Check out UMDF.org for that one! She has had multiple stomach surgeries too. Needless to say it's all pretty depressing, but she does keep smiling.

We are already prepared for another VATS if they find more blebs on the other lung. I hope they find them before she has another sp. We deal with a lot so we try to take it in stride!

Thanks for talking to me! Wink

Tami Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject:

After having surgery on one lung that has had 2 SP's. Has anyone had blebs diagnosed through a CT Scan on the lung that hasn't had a SP? And if so did they do surgery on the lung that hasn't had a SP yet? Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> Research and Text
Page 1 of 1

Choose Display Order
User Permissions