HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    Forum & Information
SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 RegisterRegister 

WORKING AT ALTITUDE - IS THIS OK AFTER SP?

CurtisGalbraith Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: WORKING AT ALTITUDE - IS THIS OK AFTER SP?

Hi, any constructive opinions please? Our daughter has just suffered a SP abroad whilst working teaching young children to ski in the US.

Out from 7 days in hospital - chest tube and all that - she can now go back to light duties. What's the view on her being able to ski again and teach at say 2500 - 5000 feet in the near future? Is this a factor?

Also while she is recovering do you think it's safe to swim etc? The doc has lectured her but has really just said - take it easy.

Finally what's the view on time period for fit to fly?

Grateful for some opinions.

Curtis

Nubicles Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Curtis,

I think that the real issue is the change in atmospheric pressure. So, it's the going up and down that will effect you. I like to travel, but I've been grounded for quite a while. I was warned not to fly for up to a year after the SP, but people on this site have flown before then. Airplanes aren't supposed to be too bad because passenger planes are technically pressurized. However, it is only to a certain height and they do go higher than what their pressure cabins are set for. You should look up the specifics. Although, definitely don't fly to any third world countries until this problem resolves itself. Basically, if an SP happens in the air or while visiting, they might not be able to fix it properly and then you're in real bad shape.

I have also been warned about scuba diving (don't do it, ever), but not swimming. There is a SP guy on this site that does heavy weight lifting. I was told never do that by my doctor. I really think it is up to person, their lifestyle, and the patience they have to build up the strength to accomplish what they want do. I'm sure with time and some proper physical therapy, your daughter will be able to do most of the things she used to do. Hopefully, she will not have a reoccurence :)

kez Reply with quote
Experienced Blebber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Hi, i was told i must wait at least 3 months after my op before flying, (short flight ) but there are some good posts from people on this site, about flying,lots of people seem to have done it fine, but on a long haul flight i was told to wait a year as well.

For the skiing part, i agree, abit of time healing, slowley build up stamina,with daily gentle exercise, then when your daughter is feeling better again, i don`t see why she can`t carry on teaching,of course it will be a gradual thing, but if she just tries a short way up the ski slopes/mountain first to see how she goes, then build up gradually,she`ll know her own limits as she does this, as her body will tell her. i try things everyday to get back to normal,i found ican pull the cord & start the petrol mower engine today ( i couldn`t do that last month!) i mowed the big yard untill it startd to hurt, then stopped.I feel fine again tonight,next time i will probably be able to do more. also Our roads are carved in to the twisting mountains here where i live, after my op, it still hurt to go to the next bay over the mountain in the car. when we got to the top of the slope,my chest would feel bubbly & painful,i would hold a cushion under my arm.to ease the pain.we went for a drive up there & over, most days, untill now it doesn`t hurt,( i had my sp in sept 06 & op was 5th oct 06. It was the pressure on my lungs from being high up on the peak of the montain road before going down again the other side.I imagine it may be the same feeling for your daughter when she tries to go up the ski slopes again, but we are all different, so it may not be a problem at all,check out the photos people have posted on the homepage,lots of them have had no problem with heights or flying,Its the skiing action that may take alittle time to be able to do,but i`m sure, it will get easyer. it all comes down to rest, time, healling & exersice,but if unsure maybe a chat with a doctor,they can give you a medical angle on your questions.& if they think its safe to try to go to those heights you mentioned.
swimming is still hard for me, i do it every day, but used to swim like a fish, now it hurts for hours afterwards, but i started off slow, just waved my arms, then after aweek, tried floating, then did widths, i can now do a couple of lengths & its getting less painful afterwards each day. swimming is great.But i did have to wait untill my vats wounds were completely healed & the stiches were out first.(dr`s orders) beause of high risk of infection as i live in the tropics.(the swimming advice was given to me by someone eles on here, it really helped get me back in the water, now i swim all the time.) so i hope some of this may help you, & your daughter too,& maybe some others may have some more helpful veiws/info replys for you who ski or have flown etc.

CurtisGalbraith Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the replies so far. We are learning more each day. Appreciate your responses. Curtis

Ceebee Reply with quote
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject:

i cant se why she should have any problems. the chest tube , without any surgery is just to restore the natural sucktion on the lungs. so this should not be a problem. the only problem i can see is if she has any more blebs in her lung. if she twists her body alot this could cause a rupture in the blebs and create another SP.

Ive skii`d in the alps with my condition ( i have had vats and stuff Wink I was up too 3000M/above. for a week, and i actually felt alot better after that week than before, so the mountain air could be good for her.

Good luck, and best regards to your daughter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

vrjones Reply with quote
Doctorized Blebber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Hi - I'd say skiing would be fine if as every-one suggests she builds up to it gradually. Most flights are at about 30 000 feet so the height of a mountain is nothing in comparison. I was told by one dr I could fly after 6 weeks and another after 6 months - I think the UK medical guidelines are minimum 2 weeks before flying - that seems a bit short to me - I'd wait 6 weeks at least personally before flying. I found swimming really helpful but I wasn;t ready for it immediately - I gradually built up the length of time and speed I could walk at first from 5 min v slow walking to 50 min brisk walking, then I had a go at swimming after about 3 weeks - similar thing - started with a couple of very slow floating lengths and then breast-stroke (at first I kept my fingers apart cos this allows you to do the stroke without too much pressure on your chest muscles) gradually stretching out to the full stroke. I'd imagine she could be back having a go at skiing after a month if she felt up to it. Your body definitely tells you when you've over-done it - usually a good sleep relieves any discomfort - I'm sure your daughter will find she gets tired quite easily to start with so she should take siestas when she needs them and listen to what her body's telling her, as Kez suggested. Wish her all the best for her recovery Very Happy

dubmekanik Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject:

I was told by my physician that after my recovery to resume any and all activities I did before.Except for smoking of course....lol I was told the same about no scuba diving and no flights for a few months. I am a mechanic, so heavy lifting is a daily occurrence for me. I am accustomed to lifting 100 lb. transmissions up into the engine bay lying on my back more often than I am willing to admit. I remember people saying "man you're crazy" And I would laugh it off. Well I'm definitely going to cut that out..I apologize if this is considered off-topic..

michael78888 Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Michael

I really like your way of expressing the opinion and sharing the information.

--------------------------------
pass4sure http://www.pass-4-sure.com
Certkiller cissp cissp
Certkiller 000-977 000-977
Page 1 of 1

Choose Display Order
User Permissions