HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    Forum & Information
SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 RegisterRegister 

Morphine - not so marvellous?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> Pain Management

DaveDub Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject:

i had morphine patient controlled iv to my hand after surgery however i found it not much use the pain was very bad and i think pressing the button didnt help much but gave me the courage to get up when i had to. Also 2 other people in my ward (where we woke up after surgery due to cutbacks) had problems with their pumps and it was realised the machiene hadnt funtioned for more than 12 hours. mine was never checked so i dont know if this was my case. but it did become increasingly painful to use in my hand over the time i had it so it may have mooved or became dislodged. I dont want to scare anyone as anyone i have heard from has said it worked complete wonders for them after surgery for pain relief. and mine did work very well at first. it was purely down to us not being brought to the high dependancy unit after surgery that these problems came about that would have been spotted immediately. one nurse between 2 wards totalling 16 patients means not much time for you moaning about your dislodged iv. :p

lmh Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject:

DaveDub,

I had the exact same problem after surgery. I was connected to a dilaudid drip after my surgery and it was horrible! I essentially wasn't able to get enough medication to mask the pain, and at some point in the middle of the night the machine malfunctioned, which I kept trying my hardest to explain to the nurses (and doctors the next morning) that I SWORE it stopped working, and they simply thought I "didnt know what I was talking about", since I "didnt know how the machines worked". It was awful! I told them in the morning it clearly wasn't for me, as I preferred enough medication to get rid of the pain every few hours and allow me to sleep, instead of being given small doses at different time increments that never really did anything for my pain!

DaveDub Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Imh,

I am glad to hear this from somebody else. Perhaps the pain relief is just not strong enough by our standards. or perhaps it is when the surgery related analgesia had completely worn off that the pain was becoming more prominant. The dose is probably low enough too so that your not loopy, i dont mind being loopd up so long as i cant feel anything haha. I was fine when they switched me to the tableted form. I think the reason for the patient controlled is because its harder to get the nurse to give you your tablets when the pain suddenly reappears as they may be quite busy. I also noticed the nurses were resistant to giving me the full dose i was prescribed of the tablets unless i was visually in alot of pain which i found annoying. Is this common? i demanded them anyway but i didn't like having to be rude about it.

Pain is tricky,
Its so different for everyone.

Hayley-Bo Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Not keen!

I have to say I'm in the anti morphine camp and would only have it again in the initial stages where the pain is unbearable. I hated not knowing what was going on and feeling so spaced out. And as hard as I try I can't remember the 24 hours after having a substantial dose. I also have oral morphine as an additional pain relief when the pills weren't effective (most of the time!) but soon refused that too as it made me feel 'drugged up' and although I did manage to sleep a little with it I always woke up confused and unable to speak coherently for a while. And what is with the feeling you get in your throat? Is it just me? When it was given each time I felt my throat contract. Very odd!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> Pain Management
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Choose Display Order
User Permissions