HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    Forum & Information
SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 RegisterRegister 

Morphine - not so marvellous?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> Pain Management

kotoreru Reply with quote
Experienced Blebber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Morphine - not so marvellous?

I read a lot that Morphine is wonderful and really does the trick, and some people even get slightly dependent on it.

I was on a push-button Morphine drip immediately after my pleurectomy. The next day I asked to be taken off of it as it physically stopped me from going to the toilet.

At first I thought it was a psychological problem - the Intensive care nurses were quite nice *ahem* and I did wake up naked while one of them checked my drains.

But afterwards, it was like I just couldnt relax the neccessary bits and pieces to go - I had to wait until I was literally bursting at the seams and then it would come out. Did anyone else experience this?

The pain relief properties of it were excellent yes, but the side effects just werent worth it for me.

Rossoe Reply with quote
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Hi Kotoreru

I've had self service morphine after every operation. And of course it's great for sorting the pain out, but my God do I hate that stuff - it made me feel like such a crack head. I couldn't talk properly, couldn't open my eyes, couldn't close my eyes. I guess i'm too much of a control freak to be losing my faculties to that degree. As if being tied to the wall with multiple tubes coming out of you isn't enough lol. I usually requested they pull the Morphine IV out a day or 2 post op because they start leaking all over the place and clogging. I'd much prefer it if they could just stab me in the leg with a shot of it each time a pressed a pain button. But I guess the nurses would get a bit frustrated.

Looks like they are coming close to finding a natural alternative to Morphine :

Quote:
Brigham Young University chemists hope that a synthetic compound they created that is similar to the molecular structure of morphine will have painkilling properties without the drug's addictive quality.

Mark A. Philbrick, BYUProfessor Steven Castle, left, joins student Spencer Jones, who has led the way in creating a synthetic compound. The researchers, led by undergraduate Spencer Jones and advised by Steven Castle, assistant professor of chemistry, created a mirror-image version of a molecule from the Japanese tape vine. That new synthetic molecule is very similar to the molecule for morphine. Now they're making more of the compound so it can be sent to the National Institutes of Health, which will check to see if it does, indeed, have painkilling properties, as they suspect.

From News report at : http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,645193786,00.html

Gambit Reply with quote
Doctorized Blebber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject:

I loved morphine. But all opiates will slow down smooth muscle contraction, causing constipation. Ask for a suppository, that really does the trick. Don't ask me how I know, lol.

kotoreru Reply with quote
Experienced Blebber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Oh man I dont think I could shove anything where the sun doesnt shine in the name of pain relief lol I hate needles, but I'd be quite happy to accept a leg-jab if I needed it.

Personally I must say that the Morphine only took the edge off the pain, it never made me feel spaced out or anything...but then I do have a problem with local anaesthetics not working properly...perhaps its connected?

On a related note; did you know that around 1 in 1000 caucasians has a defective cytochrome enzyme p450 that is responsible for metabolising general anaesthetics? It takes them 3 days to wake up from surgery!

Mavellous news about the new synthetic morphine...

Sam Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject:

I had the magic morphine! It did take away the pain and was wonderful in that respect. It made me sick but the nurse made me take medicine to stop me *blocking up* .....but I had to be asked to be taken off that as I had the reverse problem Embarassed

mylostrikesagain Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject:

Morphine is nasty stuff. I had the IV self service machine (lol), but it was set up to shoot me up every half hour whether I liked it or not. I dreaded it! At first, its a godsend, but the inability to do ANYTHING in the area of bodily functions got to me quickly. It also helped me to loose the ability to taste while I was in there, which wasn't all too nice, and I ended up hallucinating on the night times. A lot. The worst part was, that one night, I woke up from my slightly drugged up sleep, and started trying to pull the drains out of my side. Eep. Not a pretty thought. Then, another night, when I was under the impression that the ward was being overrun with aliens, I thought it a good idea to unplug myself from suction on the wall, and try to run away. Haha.

weegielass Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject:

I was on the Morphine via drip with the self help button .... Via having a VATS Kaolin Pleuradesis 1/4 wedge thingy {cant remember name} bullectomy.

But I personally did not like the effect it had on ones bodily functions ...
going to toilet & nothing happens
i initially thought i'd lost the plot or summit as in
''what the hell is happening here''
As no one pre-warned me this would OR could happen.

Then being sooooo spaced out isn't my cup of tea ....
And then it clogged up on my Hand a few times And hand became swollen.
where i ended up asking them to remove it

katsrule1971 Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Morphine

I was on the morphine drip when i had my first chest tube in 2003 and it was my best friend. I guess it just affects people differently. I could not have done without it. This time i was not given it when i had my surgery on 1-8-07. I was in so much pain and they gave me so many different drugs for pain i was sick from them. well anyways i never had any problems with morphine.

MrEd Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject:

I've had several surgeries (two SP related) after which they put me on a morphine push button. Every time I became so nauseous they had to take me off it and give me something else. I've also had to be put on a catheter every time because the bits n pieces just refused to work Smile Not sure if that was related to the morphine or the anesthetic used.

HJG Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject:

The morphine effected me differently after my operations.

I don't really remember much after my first operation, but I do recall waking up every now and then in different places.

e.g. I came round when I went for an x-ray, had the x-ray, then I don't remember what happened.

The final time I woke up, I was in a completely different ward and I had all the get well cards around me. I asked a nurse to pass me a card as I'd not read it, and she told me I'd opened it not 10 minutes before! :/
My mum also told me I'd been hallucinating.

The second time the morphine just made me really dizzy, and the nurse said my lack of bodily functions was due to the anaestectic, but I think the fear of having a catheter shot it out of me!

Did anyone else get put on codine once they'd been released from hospital? I hated it at first, but towards the end of the course I quite enjoyed the dreaminess it made me feel.

JJJ Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject:

I have just loved the morphine they gave after both of my VATS surgeries. It gets the pain down effectively, but also it just makes me feel reaaally content and relaxed and fine. It just makes me feel great, I just lay in my bed very comfortably, feeling content and just daydreaming away. For both VATS's, the day after surgery when I had morphine for me was the only nice thing in the hospital stay. Very Happy

Woldy Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: morphine

like most of you above, after my VATS i had morphine, both the epidural and the PCA. i hated being on morphine, at the time, i didnt feel much different, apart from being so uncontrollably itchy, but there are chunks of time i do not remember. After surgery when i was wheeled back to my ward, my mum and brother had been waiting for me, and i remember them leaving pretty much as soon as i was back on my ward. when i got home i asked why they had left so soon, they said they were talking to me for hours, i have no recollection of this at all.
it didnt seem to do much to the pain, especially when on suction, well if it did id hate to imagine the pain without it! so i couldnt sit there confortably and daydream unfortunately! i did have a catheter though so going to the toilet was never a problem.
all i know is id rather not be on it again, if they suggest it im gonna ask for lessphine!

Fozz06 Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject:

give it to me .....i loved the stuff lol , the nurse in a&e told me to let her know when i could feel it working i waited a good few mins before i told her lol , i also had the push button after my op , only problem was it kept blocking and my hand ended up sore , as for the toilet it blocked me for ages and its not as if u can push lol , im sure i saw an angel sat on the door when i did finally go , the lads on the ward gave out a cheer as i got back into bed lolol

Woldy Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject:

that hand swelling sounds harsh, i noticed a few people mentioning that, luckily i didnt experience that, only a slight infection from the tube in my hand for a few days after i got out. but yeah sure, ill email you the morphine Wink

Hazz Reply with quote
Doctorized Blebber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Just about all the painkillers will block up your pipes! The more you take the more time you will spend trying to get the wildebeest out of your ass. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> Pain Management
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Choose Display Order
User Permissions