HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    Forum & Information
SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 RegisterRegister 

First Spontaneous Pneumothorax

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> Family & Friends

BGregg Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: First Spontaneous Pneumothorax

My son recently had a SP while running with his cross country team. It resolved on its own in about a week. A week later xray was great. I have been looking all over the internet for info on sports and SP. For now the docs say to wait 4-6 weeks before training again. Any info on running and SP would be great. He is 16 and thin but not all that tall ... 5' 11"ish.
Thanks!

Gambit Reply with quote
Doctorized Blebber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject:

There is no textbook guideline regarding resuming exercise. After my first SP which was treated with aspiration, I was weightlifting one week after. Unfortunately, 5-6 weeks thereafter I collapsed my lung again, 100%. Needed surgery then.

Unfortunately, you're may to have to brace for a long road ahead with SP recurrences, then leading up to eventual surgery.

Rossoe Reply with quote
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject:

Hi BGregg, Sorry to hear your son had to go through this.

Are you wanting to know if he can return to running before the 4-6 weeks is up, or more concerned about the long term affects of continued sport related activities ?

After he's had time to recover, exercise will always be a good thing. As you've probably heard from your doctor the chances or him having another are higher but by no means does he need to be wrapped up in cotten wool. Let him know that if he feels breathless and in pain at any time he should get straight back to his doc for an xray.

We've had a member that was involved in proffessional speed skating (not running but close enough) talking about their experience after a resolved SP :
http://blebinfo.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=97

BGregg Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: More basic questions on SP

Thanks for the replies!

What is happening during recovery? Are the blebs healing more completely? Or is it more needing the lung to get back to its normal size and position? Just wondering while we wait and rest about the actual physiology of the condition.

dubmekanik Reply with quote
Trainee Blebber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject:

Interested in answers to the previous post's questions as well. Thanks to all who create and manage this site!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> Family & Friends
Page 1 of 1

Choose Display Order
User Permissions