HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    Forum & Information
SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 RegisterRegister 

chest infection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> Pain Management

stephanna Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: chest infection

hi! Had vats and pleurodesis surgery almost 5yrs ago now for 3 collapses over a month period due to a bleb covering 25% of my right lung. Besides the decrease in lung capacity and usual pains and discomfort in extreme weather conditions things have generally been ok. Have had a flu jab every winter too. Until now...
Went to the doctor recently after 2 nearly 3 weeks of feeling ill with some cold, just to be reassured my chest was ok only to discover I have an infection on the operated lung in the middle section. He described hearing 'creaks'. I'm now really worried. Should I be???? I moved from the country 6 months ago to the city. Could this be the cause????
why would the one side be infected and not the other? Is this a normal infection like a normal person with no Sp history would get or something to worry about? I'm currently on amoxillin and feeling no better really. Back at the doctors in 2 days..
Would appreciate any feedback. Smile
Steph

Rossoe Reply with quote
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Hi Steph,

I would not think it is reason to be overly worried, I'm sure the antibiotics will clear it up. at least you caught it before it really progressed. I would personally take a good pro-biotic if on a course of antibiotics as they tend to really mess with your stomach and lower you immune system even more.

I'm sure people without SP history could just as easily get these kind of chest infections.

If you move to a city you are going to be exposed to more bugs, that's just a unfortunate statistical inevitability.

Strangely I found I got fewer bugs and chest infections after all my ops. but maybe that's because my lifestyle changed significantly.

If I feel I'm coming down with something I always try and take Zinc, vitamin D and large dose of Vitamin C for a few days or for however long I'm feeling unwell. it really helps boost the immune system and Vit D is purported to be especially good at fending off viral infections.

I hope you feel better soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX Forum Index -> Pain Management
Page 1 of 1

Choose Display Order
User Permissions